Forum  General Visual ...  Announce It! ( ...  Announcing an upcoming alternative way to develop Visual WebGui apps using Xaml and compile ondemand
Previous Previous

Next Next
New Post 7/25/2010 9:43 AM
  ori.cohen
4401 posts
1st Level Poster

Re: Announcing an upcoming alternative way to develop Visual WebGui apps using Xaml and compile ondemand 

Hello Mr. Richins,

I believe I already replied to those questions in this forum thread here.
If you have any further questions on the subject, please reply and we'll do our best to help you.

Regards,

Ori Cohen
Support Manager, the Visual WebGui team

New Post 7/26/2010 2:43 AM
  octotux
156 posts
5th Level Poster

Re: Announcing an upcoming alternative way to develop Visual WebGui apps using Xaml and compile ondemand 
Hi Guy,

we are using visual inheritance of Visual WebGui- and WinForms- classes as a means of customization. Thus we were very disappointed to learn about the missing possibility of inheritance in WPF if the class uses XAML for instantiation. In WPF we have to copy the view classes form the standard source-tree to the custom trees and customize the copies. Is it possible to derive form VWG-view classes using XAML for instantiation ?

Cheers,
Thomas

New Post 7/30/2010 7:34 PM
  ron.richins
15 posts
No Ranking

You are correct, Ori.  I posted two separate threads on 7/4, and you responded to one on 7/18, then, you posted that you have already responded on 7/25. Thank you for your posts. What I cannot find is Guy's original press release.

What is missing is Guy's statement concerning VWG being the only one to use the native "XAML" compilier. A native "XAML" compiler!  If XAML is just another markup language would not make any sense. A native "XAML" compiler in todays context is directly related to WPF and/or Silverlight.

Quite frankly, If an XML based property mapping system was Guy's big announcement, I would be extremely disappointed.

Ron

New Post 8/1/2010 1:05 AM
  Guy
2346 posts
1st Level Poster

Hi Thomas,

Yes, we will support inheritance as we are actually compiling the xaml code as oppose to simply parsing it in runtime. When working in a web mode the only drawback which I guess you will understand is that checking the inheritance validity will be done at runtime. It will have basically the same behavior as master pages and pages which will enable to add elements to the previously defined form / usercontrol.

Guy

New Post 8/1/2010 1:17 AM
  Guy
2346 posts
1st Level Poster

Hi Ron,

You got the "native" part all wrong and I guess that looking at it from your point of view it is understandable why you got it wrong. We would never implement a web technology framework utilizing a client technology as it simply does not work. What I meant by native is that it is natively integrated as an ASP.NET build provider which means that it is completely implemented using the ASP.NET best practices and at the end ASP.NET is doing the heavy lifting on the server.  

That said we will allow usage of client side XAML which is kind of like the same way ASP.NET treats HTML tags which are not marked with runat server.

The idea is to provide the a web development interface to Visual WebGui, in-terms of the ability to change the application dynamically and work with markup code instead of pure object oriented approach. In fact it is basically providing developers with a way to develop Visual WebGui applications in a manner that is more close to developing an ASP.NET application. We could have taken the ASP.NET markup concepts but obviously Microsoft has moved on in-terms of their concept of a markup environment and instead of providing the old way of doing things we decided to implement the new way.

The big difference between ASP.NET markup and XAML, is that ASP.NET relays on known classes that can be used while XAML is a generic language that can apply to any object model and as such provides more flexibility to the developer in what can or cannot be done from the markup code.

Hope that provides a better picture on what we are aiming at and or considerations.

Cheers,
Guy

Previous Previous

Next Next
  Forum  General Visual ...  Announce It! ( ...  Announcing an upcoming alternative way to develop Visual WebGui apps using Xaml and compile ondemand