Forum  General Visual ...  How do I...?  VWG with IIS7
Previous Previous

Next Next
New Post 6/9/2008 5:14 AM
  Tyson
170 posts
5th Level Poster

VWG with IIS7 

Im currently doing some testing with installing a VWG app to IIS7, but I've hit some problems.

If I configure the site to use the 'Classic' pipeline mode, I get up to a point where I've pointed the .wgx extension to the aspnet_isapi dll, just like you would in IIS6, but navigating to any .wgx address returns the file not found error, where the web server is just trying to serve the resource as a static file.

If I configure the site to use the new 'Intergrated' pipeline mode, then after configuring the handlers as above, I get served with the follwing message:

HTTP Error 500.23 - Internal Server Error
An ASP.NET setting has been detected that does not apply in Integrated managed pipeline mode.

Could someone please provide a quick setup guide for IIS7 and VWG.

Cheers.

Tyson.

New Post 6/10/2008 8:51 AM
  ori.cohen
4401 posts
1st Level Poster

Re: VWG with IIS7 

Hello Tyson!

Please take a look at this forum post. I believe it could help you solve these problems.

Regards,

Ori Cohen

The Visual WebGui team

New Post 6/10/2008 11:40 PM
  Tyson
170 posts
5th Level Poster

Thanks Ori.

I worked it out in the end. It was actually due to the fact that I was compiling my app as 32-bit ( due to a dependent library only being available in 32bit ), and my new Windows Server 2008 was x64.

The problem was solved by opening the Advanced Settings for the DefaultAppPool (or watever App Pool your app is using), and setting 'Enable 32-bit Applications' to true.

Cheers.

Tyson.

New Post 6/16/2008 7:18 AM
  ori.cohen
4401 posts
1st Level Poster

Hello Tyson!

As this may be an increasingly common issue, as MS Windows Vista will become the mainstream windows OS to use, more and more developers using the VWG platform may encounter this problem.
If you have any additional information on the cause of the original problem and the way to solve it, it would be greatly appreciated if you posted that information here.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Ori Cohen
The Visual WebGui team

New Post 6/19/2008 9:07 PM
  Tyson
170 posts
5th Level Poster

Sure Ori.

The problem only occurs if you choose to compile your VWG app as an exclusive 32-bit app (Project Properties -> Build -> Platform Target). By default this is set to Any CPU and it will run as watever platform the target machine is, without problems.

However, if you have to set it to 32-bit, as I did due to a dependant database dll only being released in 32 bit, and you are installing to a x64 machine, then you hit problems with the IIS application.

By default, when running the new Managed Pipeline in IIS7, all App Pools have the 'Enable 32-Bit Applications' set to false. This option is defined as whether to allow 32-bit apps when running on an x64 machine.

Navigate to the Application Pools option in the left hand TreeView in IIS7, and select your target App Pool (the default managed pipeline one is named 'DefaultAppPool'), and then open the advanced settings. In here is an 'Enable 32-Bit Applications'. Setting this to true should now allow your VWG app to run.

Previous Previous

Next Next
  Forum  General Visual ...  How do I...?  VWG with IIS7