Forum  General Visual ...  How do I...?  Host a VWG User Control or Form inside UMBRACO CMS Open Source Product
Previous Previous

Next Next
New Post 1/11/2012 11:28 AM
Unresolved
  MD_DEV
5 posts
No Ranking

Host a VWG User Control or Form inside UMBRACO CMS Open Source Product 
Modified By MD_DEV  on 1/12/2012 6:18:41 PM)

Hello VisualWebGUI "Family",

Host a VWG User Control or VWG WebForm inside UMBRACO CMS Open Source Product

This is my second week working out how to use your Product and Controls and coming from a MS Access Background I am impressed

I know you can host VWG inside a ASP.NET Page as per your webcast but when I followed the instructions it failed because of Themes (yes I did try adding the reference etc but this did not solve my issue - here I assume it is because I am using VS2010 and not VS2008 as in the webcast)

Ideally UMBRACO wants to host a User Control / ASCX Page rather than a WebForm / ASPX Page (as in the examples)

... so any ideas or pointers to the right direction would be great ???

My first post so ... Hi All :-)

Regards

"MD_Dev" (Spain, UK, Europe)

New Post 1/11/2012 1:46 PM
  palli
17037 posts
1st Level Poster

Re: Host a VWG User Control or Form inside UMBRACO CMS Open Source Product 

Hi MD_Dev,

And a warm welcome to Visual WebGui to you.

I am not sure what errors you get, so if you are interested, you can zip your application and email it to the support email address (see my signature) along with the full Http reference to this thread and I will take a look. If you choose to do so, you should rename the .zip to an .xip so it's less likely to be stopped by email fiters and when you have sent the email, please post here.

I would also like to bring the Companion Kit demo/documentation application to your attention. This demo application has a lot of samples on how to use the Visual WebGui controls, and specifically for the FormBox, here is the sample(s).

Hope this helps,

Palli

Páll Björnsson - Visual WebGui Community Manager - Email: support@visualwebgui.com

Please include VWG version information with your questions (best: Full name of VWG installation .MSI file)
To send sample code or other files to support, first zip the relevant project or files,
then rename .ZIP file to different extension like .XIP and finally email as attachment to email address above.
Remember to include full Http Url to the forum thread in the message.

New Post 1/16/2012 2:06 PM
  MD_DEV
5 posts
No Ranking

Hi Palli / Other VisualWevGUI "Family Members"

OK I can now host a VWG Form inside a ASP.NET Page and also inside a ASCX User Control using the Formbox Control

What I now want to do is add the User Control (ASCX) to UBRACO

When I register the ASCX User Control (which inside has a FormBox Control which of contains a VWG Form) to the CMS UMBRACO all looks OK because I can add the "Macro"

Below is a copy of me trying to register the Macro called MDTest1 to the page

<%@ Master Language="C#" MasterPageFile="~/masterpages/Visibly2Master.master" AutoEventWireup="true" %>

<asp:content ContentPlaceHolderId="visibly_content" runat="server">

hello 111

<umbraco:Macro Alias="MD_Test1" runat="server" />

hello 222

</asp:content>

The outcome is that the VWG Usercontrol does not render and an example is available at :-

http://www.parkendbarnreclamation.co.uk/development.aspx

where is simple displays :-

hello 111 <Macro: MD_Test1 (,)> hello 222

Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction to make a VWG Form display inside the UMBRACO CMS product

Many Thanks In Advance

I can zip up and email my Visual Studio 2010 Project if needed

Regards

MD_DEV (Spain, UK, Europe)

New Post 1/19/2012 11:47 AM
  palli
17037 posts
1st Level Poster

Modified By palli  on 1/19/2012 3:49:17 PM)

Hi MD_DEV,

I don't think I have enough information to be able to help much, but I can put forward some questions that may narrow the problem down.

First, if you leave Visual WebGui out of the picture and create an ASCX user control with ASP.NET code only (no Visual WebGui) and try to get that to show on the UMBRACO CMS, does that work  ?

Second, if you take your ASCX usercontrol that includes your Visual WebGui application or form within a FormBox, are you able to place that ASCX usercontrol on an ASP.NET WebForm and show it sucessfully ?

Not sure if it will help, but take a look at this article here.

Hope this helps,

P.S. For reference purposes, your other thread is here, which is essentially discussing the same subject so I'll close it in a moment. It does have a link to a UMBRACO video, so better link the threads together.

Palli

Páll Björnsson - Visual WebGui Community Manager - Email: support@visualwebgui.com

Please include VWG version information with your questions (best: Full name of VWG installation .MSI file)
To send sample code or other files to support, first zip the relevant project or files,
then rename .ZIP file to different extension like .XIP and finally email as attachment to email address above.
Remember to include full Http Url to the forum thread in the message.

New Post 1/20/2012 7:04 AM
  MD_DEV
5 posts
No Ranking

Hi Palli,

(Thanks for your replay and suggestions)

First Answer: Yes I can successfully get a normal ASCX user control to render properly within the UMBRACO CMS

Second Answer: Yes I can take my ASCX usercontrol that includes my Visual WebGuii application (or form) within a FormBox and place this inside a normal ASPX Page - and this renders fine

I did look at your link but this did not throw me any real pointers ???

Do you think I should post a question on the UMBRACO forum to see if anyone else is using VisualWebGUI and UMBRACO CMS ?

I am a little under the pressure for this really to work "somehow" because I come from a MS Access Background and I find Winforms Development so much more quicker that traditional ASPX Page Programming - so who is the best person to ask for help?

If it cannot be done (VisualWebGUI inside UMBRACO CMS) then I will more on without VisualWebGUI :-(

Regards

MD_Dev (Spain, UK, Europe)

Previous Previous

Next Next
  Forum  General Visual ...  How do I...?  Host a VWG User Control or Form inside UMBRACO CMS Open Source Product