I would like to share with you guys our progress in-terms of documenting Visual WebGui as part of the 6.4 effort. We are working on three main information sources which will be in the format of:
- Community knowledge base (articles / videos / tutorials / code samples) which will be tagged and categoriezed to allow easy access throw search engines and optimized navigation and filtering. Which will be a tool to exchange Visual WebGui related information. The resources we have in the site today will all be re-formated and indexed.
- Quick Start application which will replace the Catalog application from the educational aspect leaving the catalog to be a unit testing application. The quick start will be a fully SEO optimized Visual WebGui application that will expose every feature of every control and framework services. It will enable bookmarking of features for easy access to be used as kind of a wish list of features to use in your application. Every feature will be used with the minimum amount of code lines that can be viewed in the application in VB and C# and either copy/paste the code or download it.
- A msdn like reference which will document the different API's and most important the client resources documentation which will document all the client side resources, their usage, customization options and dependencies. This will be the first time we are releasing documentation on the internals and hopefully the level of complexity of customizing and creating custom controls will be lowered dramaticly.
Today I am sharing with you a new capability we added to our build tasks which will be part of the standard VWG build tasks that allows to export the skin resources to a msdn like reference. We designed it to be as informative as possible to expose the content of the client resources in such a way that can be navigated easly so you will be able to see the diffrent methods / templates / css styles and their usage. It is still in a preliminary status and we are planing to make a real effort to complete the missing documentation for the planned release of 6.4.
Here is a link to a reference that was extracted from the current trunk so you guys can check the direction and add your thoughts:
The following is still missing:
- Skin Property documentation is lacking and some properties are missing and some are exposed which should not be exposed.
- We are adding script / xslt variables so properties such as $dir or mobjApp will be documented as well.
- There is a bug with method enumeration some methods appear twice also in cases where a method is defined twice we are planning to create an index page which will allow to navigate to the required implementation (this is a standard forking behavior for cross browser support).
- Collapse all and expand all will be added.
- Collapsing expanding memory will be added.
- Filter memory will be added.
- We are planning to add a preview designer to the skin designer which will enable to show screenshots of the components with links to the different images and styles which will be also integrated into the help as images on the skin level which will have links to the relevant skin resources.
Let me know what think...